The Boar's Head
200 Ednam Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Telephone: (434) 296-2181
Fax: (434) 972-6024
Toll-free: (800) 476-1988
General Manager: Matthew Harris
Number of Employees: 300+
The Boar's Head is located 2 miles west of Charlottesville, Virginia, just off Route 250 West.
Click here for directions and transportation information.
The nearest airports are:
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Click here for a full list of The Boar's Head's accolades.
Accommodations: 175 guest rooms (includes 9 suites)
Meeting Space: 20 event spaces (includes outdoor areas, in season) totaling 22,000 square feet
Dining: Four restaurants on-site
Banquet Services: Full
- The Old Mill Room
- The Cafe
- Birdwood Grill
- Bistro 1834
Birdwood Golf Course: 18 holes, natural terrain
The Boar's Head Sports Club: Fully equipped exercise studio
The Boar's Head Spa: 6 treatment rooms, a hydro-therapy room, nail salon and couples suite.
- Squash: 2 courts, for singles or doubles play
- Tennis: 26 USTA regulation tennis courts (indoor and outdoor)
- Pools: 3 outdoor
Area Experiences & Information: Learn more about Charlottesville Wineries, Breweries, Historic Attractions, Popular Sights, Shopping and Outdoor Recreation.
The Boar's Head is committed to measuring and reducing our carbon footprint on the Earth. We are proud to announce our certification as Virginia Green. Click here to view our Virginia Green Lodging Profile.
The Boar's Head is proud to be working with van der Linde Recycling to provide single stream recycling throughout all guest lodging areas, Inn Store, Spa and Sports Club. van der Linde will sort and recover trash of every description, with no pre-separation required by The Boar's Head. So don't be alarmed not to see separate recycling receptacles as this new partnership allows us to keep our traditional appointments while doing our part for the environment.
Through our renewable energy partner, Greenlight Biofuels, we are now recycling our waste kitchen grease.
Conservation – Consumption Reduction
- Housekeeping team ensures all lights and televisions are turned off in all guestrooms.
- We use pitchers of water to minimize usage of bottled water.
- During periods of low occupancy, we have a coordinated plan to "shut down" or "adjust" certain floors or wings, ensuring that heating/cooling units and electrical appliances are properly adjusted to conserve energy.
- We have installed low-flow water restrictive devices in most faucets, toilets, urinals, and shower heads.
Conservation – Waste Reduction
- We have implemented a linen and towel re-use program.
- We send proposals, marketing materials, and contracts electronically whenever possible.
- Ednam Conference Room as well as 600, 700 and Ednam Guest Rooms and corridors are heated and cooled using geothermal heat pumps.
- Geothermal heat pumps do not have outdoor units. Instead of blowing air across a coil, we flow water through a coil. The heat transfer with water is approx 150 times greater than with air.
- Minimal impact on the environment—there is a total of 80 wells none of which are visible.
- We do not use any ground water; we only circulate water through pipes in the wells.
Energy Efficient Lighting
- Halls, stairs, guest room foyers and bathrooms have compact fluorescent lighting.
- Ballrooms, Foyer, Mezzanine, Arcade, Ednam Lobby, Albemarle, Blue Ridge, Commonwealth and Ednam Conference Rooms have a combination light.
- Indoor Tennis Courts use energy efficient Metal Halide lighting.
- We recycle all fluorescent tubes.
- We have three different building automation systems to control our various buildings (Chiller Plant, Club and Conference Center & Pavilion).
- We have night setbacks to reduce heating and cooling loads.
- The system will send alarms for problems as they are detected
- We save energy by producing chilled water in our Chiller Plant instead of having multiple chillers on the property.
- Chilled water is pumped to the Club, Main Resort, Conference Center, Hunt Club and Spa.
Herbs and Spices
- We purchase our herbs and spices from Bantry Bay Spice Co. located here in Keswick, VA.
- We fill our old spiced containers from the bulk supply which reduces the amount of plastic that we discard, not to mention supports a local vendor.
- With the help of Valley Protein, some of our waste kitchen oil/grease will now be used for making biodiesel.
Birdwood Golf Course
- Birdwood Golf Course at The Boar's Head is a Certified Sanctuary member of the Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program, created and administered by Audubon International.
- Under the program we are striving toward best management practices in environmental planning, wildlife and habitat management, chemical use reduction and safety, water conservation, water quality management and outreach and education.
VIRGINIA VENDOR SUPPORT
The Boar's Head is committed to supporting local vendors. Click here to download a PDF of the Virginia based farms, vineyards and companies we are proud to work with on a daily basis.